2016 Accomplishment Highlights
Center Accomplishments At-a-Glance
Refereed publications -- 85
Presentations and tours -- 195
Graduate students supported -- 5
Pictured: Staff, cooperating scientists, and graduate students gather outside the Eastern Threat Center's Raleigh, NC, office. Photo by Johnny Boggs, U.S. Forest Service.
Pictured: Center research ecologist Steve Norman leads a field trip to explore forest fragmentation and management challenges during the annual meeting of the US-International Association for Landscape Ecology. Photo by Steve Norman, U.S. Forest Service.
- Planned the 2016 Annual Meeting of the US-International Association for Landscape Ecology and organized symposia, contributed presentations, and led field trips to examine environmental and social issues of landscape change.
- Hosted a scientist from Instituto de Biologia, National Autonomous University of Mexico, who consulted with ForWarn project staff.
- Hosted visiting scientists from Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology who contributed to global change studies under the direction of research hydrologist Ge Sun.
- Organized a special session and contributed presentations at the Association for Fire Ecology’s 6th International Fire Ecology and Management Congress.
- Held a seminar at Northern Eurasia Earth Science Partnership Initiative (NEESPI) Focus Research Centre for Non-Boreal Eastern Europe.
- Provided consultation services and global forest fragmentation data to support a research project on biomass change in lowland rain forests for School of Geography, University of Leeds.
- Provided consultation services to coordinate and harmonize national and international inventory and assessment protocols related to landscape pattern research with European Commission's Joint Research Centre.
- Gave presentations at Xi’an University of Technology.
- Participated in a tour with USDA Borlaug International Agricultural Science and Technology Program Fellow.
- Contributed presentations during numerous international meetings, conferences, workshops, and webinars, including: Annual US-China Carbon Consortium Meeting; Canadian Forest Service-Great Lakes Forestry Centre Webinar Series; EcoSummit 2016; European Geosciences Union Annual Meeting; International Pest Forum; International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO) Landscape Ecology Conference; IUFRO Workshop on Biological Invasions in Forests; Next Generation Ecosystem Experiments Arctic All Hands Meeting; 10th International Workshop on Spatial and Spatiotemporal Data Mining; 10th Meeting of the International Pest Risk Research Group; 13th International Conference on the Ecology and Management of Alien Plant Invasions; XXV International Congress of Entomology; US-China Collaboration in Biodiversity Studies – Frontier Issues, New Approaches, and Opportunities Workshop; and World Conference on Natural Resource Modeling.
Pictured: Center research hydrologist Ge Sun and scientists from the University of West Hungary visit a forest hydrological station following a seminar at NEESPI Focus Research Centre for Non-Boreal Eastern Europe. Photo by Ge Sun, U.S. Forest Service.
Awards and Honors
- Southern Research Station Director's Award for Research Professional Support (Johnny Boggs, biological scientist)
- "Best Presentation" medal (pictured) at the 10th Meeting of the International Pest Risk Research Group (Frank Koch, presentation co-author)
- US-International Association for Landscape Ecology (US-IALE) Certificate of Appreciation (Bill Hargrove, Kurt Riitters, Steve Norman, Danny Lee, and Stephanie Worley Firley, 2016 US-IALE annual meeting organizing committee)
- North Carolina State University "Wolfpack Certified Sustainable Workplace" award for the Center's Raleigh office